Hello there! I’m Xandra.
I live a fabulously simple life with less stuff and more sparkle. I like Pac Man and Harry Potter [Go Gryffindor], and my role model is Kiki, teen witch from Kiki’s Delivery Service. I climb mountains, get really excited about theatre, take tea with cuddly toys, and generally try to be more awesome.
Here’s how I got started with the whole ‘minimalist’ thing.
Moving across the ocean urged me to own less stuff, and this step towards minimalism was life-changing. I used to think of minimalism as a fashion sacrifice, but I’ve found it to be the opposite. Minimalism has no requirements. It’s about paring down possessions and commitments until you’re left with only what you adore. Minimalism applies to all fashions of my life – not just what I wear, but how I live. I am on a constant quest to find new favourites from fashion designers to cupcakeries, from songs to cities. To meet new people who share this quest. To make my life sparkle.
What you’ll find here
I started Fashionably Light in August 2012 to document my ongoing quest for fabulous simplicity. When I was just starting out on my minimalist journey, I searched for examples, particularly from minimalist ladies who also love colour and sparkles. This is my example, my contribution to the center of the venn diagram of minimalism and fashion.
Xandra Burns is a writer on a mission to unite fashion and minimalism. In 2013 she graduated from the University of Oxford with a BA in English Language & Literature. Her writing has gained recognition from supermodel Tyra Banks and The Guardian‘s Michael Billington, as well as acclaimed bloggers Courtney Carver, Gala Darling, Shauna Haider, Kat Williams, and Molly Ford. She is a contributing writer at Blogbranch, and was a featured blogger on Story by Modcloth.
While at Oxford she was the Editor of Oxford Theatre Review, reviewing plays in Oxford and for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, earning her the Kenneth Tynan Reviewing Prize for best student theatre critic. She also served as Treasurer of the Oxford University Mountaineering Club, for which she is the current Journal co-editor.
Xandra worked as Editorial Assistant to professional blogger Hero Brown at Muddy Stilettos, is style ambassador and writer for sustainable fashion designer Bianca Elgar at Be Unlimited Ltd, and is the face of the Fe-Line Women Frock Swap.
As a child, (Ale)Xandra wrote, directed, and starred in a musical, founded a Shakespearean theatre troupe, and published Harry Potter newspaper The Daily Prophet to a hearty list of email subscribers.
Xandra lives in Boston, Massachusetts with her pet dinosaur, Little Guy, and unicorn, Lyra.
Xandra Around the Web…
Some of my favorite features
- Featured on Modcloth’s Style Blog
- Featured on Nubby Twiglet: 25 Moments of 2013: My Timeline of an Awesome Year: ”So many of the ladies in this pair of classes made a big impact on us, including the super smart and stylish Xandra.”
- Favourite Person of the Month on HeyImClay
Guest Posts and Interviews
- Gust Post on Blogbranch: How to Get Retweeted by Tyra Banks
- Interviewed on Ten Penny Dreams: Space on the Bookshelves: An Interview with Xandra from Fashionably Light
- Guest post on The Laughing Medusa: London is Eating Me Alive
Praise in which I’m compared to tiny desserts
- “Bite-size installments of loveliness. As addictive as Laduree macaroons!” Caroline Gellatly, Sparkles & Crumbs
- “A brilliant jellybean of amazingness” Latanya Rene Barrett, Sprinkles and Booze
- “Each post is like a Baked by Melissa cupcake – bite-sized with frosting and cake base in perfect proportion.” Perrine Wynkel, My Scenic Route
- “I’m really beginning to fall in love with fellow Blogcademy graduate Xandra’s blog Fashionably Light. Her posts are always so light (duh!) and floaty, like having a sip of chilled lemonade on a really hot day, or a nibble of a tasty biscuit.” Little Outdoor Kylie